Thursday, January 30, 2014

THE SMALL THINGS

I can't believe it's 2014. I remember being little and thinking anything in the 2000's sounded really weird and futuristic. My grandpa, who turned 93 this month, said the same thing. I can only imagine it's even more weird to him. I think we're both slightly ticked about the lack of flying cars, but nevertheless, here we are ... 2014.

At my ripe old age I have already stopped doing New Year's Resolutions. At least, in the typical sense. I'm done writing my "things I am going, and not going, to do this year" list. Not that I've just decided to throw in the life towel this year, not at all. I'm actually just not feeling like riding the whole "resolution" wagon. I'm going a different route this year by working on the one thing I feel strongly about that I know will make waves in all areas of my life. It's pretty simple, really. Like silly simple. I'm just focusing on the small things. Which I've come to realize are actually the big things. The little things we do throughout the day become the bigger things. And that's how I'm looking at the New Year. I'm breaking you down, New Year.



My sweet husband got me a ukulele for Christmas. It was the perfect gift for several reasons. I've been wanting one, he wrote on it so it's extra special, and it makes me happy to call it "my uke from Luke." And to my delight, Desi seems to find it entertaining. I'm so thankful for his sweet smile when I pick it up to practice. There's nothing quite like it. His little innocent grin, like his momma's really playing something awesome when all I'm doing is learning how to strum. Talk about a supportive audience.

Another great thing, the uke is little enough to not get in the way, so I've been keeping it on my kitchen island where I won't forget about it. Although that trick doesn't work quite as well for the dishes.  Nonetheless, I've been practicing nearly every day sense I've gotten the ukulele. And I'm getting the hang of it, getting better day by day, and realizing that being obedient in the small things will create the outcomes I desire. Not exactly rocket science or breaking news, but this year I'm taking it all in and my small things are adding up, currently to the tune of "You are My Sunshine". Desi, this one's for you. And me.


"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies."
- Mother Teresa


2 comments:

  1. I love this! And I love the ukelele - and that rug, and your shoes. I really enjoy the way you write. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Marcia! I appreciate your kind words ; )

    ReplyDelete