So this is a new member of the family, my son's "Carrot Man", as we have been calling him. Picked him up at a local arts and crafts show. I told Luke that it reminded us of him, what with the crazy baby dreads he's been working on, and we had to get it. Truth is though, it reminds me of one of my favorite books that I read to Desi all the time, The Carrot Seed. He loves this book.
Have you read it? You must. I'm a sucker for kids' books, plus I have a soft spot for simple and sweet, and this book nails it. The illustrations and writing are wonderfully simple, with a message about perseverance, facing adversity, hard work, and faith.
Basically, a little boy plants a carrot seed, and not once does he let what others think keep him from believing (and working hard at the task) that he'll someday see a carrot come up.
How great is that? I mean, seriously?! It makes me think of the kind of person I strive to be and the attributes I hope to instill in Desi - someone who believes and works hard towards a goal, the kind of boy who's unaffected by what others think or say, whose faith is unwavering.
Does anyone have any recommendations for other kick-ass kids' books?
Sidenote: I thought twice about using "kick ass" and "kids' books" together, but I feel good about it, and I really like the alliteration. And I think I just secured the title for a new reoccurring thing here on the blog : )


No comments:
Post a Comment