Monday, November 18, 2013

BEING CREATIVE

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up."
       - Pablo Picasso


I can't help but think of Picasso's quote when I see this picture. That's my little Desmond. It was his first time "coloring". I broke out the big pad of paper and crayons. We got crazy that day. There may or may not have been a taste testing of different crayon colors.

I also can't help but think of my own life. I've always loved to come up with creative ideas, write, make stuff, and the such. My mom's an artist and when I was growing up she was always sculpting or painting. Still is, actually. It was normal to open the stove and see one of mom's masterpieces cooking. She was always good about letting me and my brother make stuff, too. She'd give us some sculpty clay and let us create little people. A couple of years we even entered our little people into some art competitions and won.  That year I sculpted my grandparents and my brother scuplted my dad. Oh, the memories. And I think it's clear from the pic below that I've always had issues with my hair. Dang you, Keri Russell from the Disney Club! Just FYI, a perm will not look just like Keri's hair, and I don't think you're supposed to brush curly hair.


Anyhoo, back to creativity. It's something that I've realized I need in my life. Like I need a good sweet tea. It just feels right. There was a time growing up, like Picasso talks about, where I was an artist. I loved to draw, and art class was my favorite. And then as I got older I noticed that I wasn't as good as some other people, and overall just got self-conscious. And I stopped creating like I did when I was young. Which is just kinda sad. I hate the fear of "is this good enough?" "what will people think?". And I still deal with those fears now, too, often. In fact, I just freaked out a few weeks ago when a sign I made for our fall festival got wet in the rain and smeared. Oh man, the fear of it not being good enough... me not being good enough... totally shot to the roof. My husband, ever calm with me, chimes in with what he always says in these moments "Everything's going to be alright". And I want to be like "bite me, Bob Marley!" Oh, the anxiety and fear, how they can mix to create a really-not-cool me. Bless Luke's heart.

Speaking of Saint Luke, he, like my mom, is a really talented artist. Something I realize is not happenstance. God knew exactly what he was doing when he put us in one another's paths. If there's one thing I'm sure of, we make an awesome team. Where he's weak, I'm strong. And vice versa. And he's so good at encouraging me and helping me follow my ideas. And he's good inspiration, too, that one. He's always trying something new, never afraid to fail or look silly. I wanna be a little more like my husband in that way. Yes, Luke, you read that right.

So, here's to writing more, dusting off the sewing machine, finishing those books I want to write, making those shirts ... and the million other ideas jumping around in my head. And if you don't have your very own Luke, let me be the one to say, You're idea is great! Just try it. What do you have to lose?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, sister I remember the clay making times. So glad that you have Luke to continue to encourage you. Funny thing about that not being sure of oneself. I have always been creative when working with kids and coming up with things to create, but I have always thought you were way more creative than me.... maybe I should have said that out loud more often, but maybe creativity is in the eye of the beholder. I do see what an awesome team you and Luke make and am glad that you are there to encourage each other. Lovin the blog, keep it up! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sister! That's nice to hear! And thanks for the encouragement, too : )

    ReplyDelete