![]() | |
| Luke in his shorty shorts because all the good ones are dirty. Actually, it's a cute illustration from this book | . |
Does anyone else wait till the absolute last minute to do laundry? When your house looks like the dirty clothes monster had a few too many and went around each room of your house throwing up? When your husband gives you the stink eye because he doesn't have any clean gym shorts, which you know is really bad because you own a gym and 98% of the dude's wardrobe consists of gym shorts? Or when your 18 month old toddler is walking around in high waters because the only thing clean is a pair of six month old baby pants that you're referring to as capris?
No? Me neither.
No, no, I actually wait until it gets so bad I am forced to wear the uncomfortable underwear. Please tell me I'm not alone on this one, folks? I have these underwear that just don't fit right. I push them to the back of the underwear drawer. Not good enough to be stage center, but the backups' backup. They're my "break in case of emergency" underwear I guess you could say.
This happened the other day. The laundry was piling up, Luke's eyes were twitching, and Des was straight up wading ... and I was forced to wear the "bad underwear". Oh, the agony. I spent all day in these underwear, ticked at myself for allowing it to get to this point. And then this crazy thought came to me - Why even keep these underwear when they're just not working for me?
And so I threw those puppies out. Just like that. Not at that exact moment, I was at a kid's birthday party. But when I got home I was like, "see ya, wouldn't wanna be ya!" (Honestly, I put them inside a few little plastic grocery bags tied tightly and then inside a small box and then inside the big trash bag because dear Lord if some animal got a hold of that trash bag and my underwear were all over the yard I would just die.)
I say all this to say, I think we can often fall back on things, or fail to change things that aren't working, because of one reason or another. Maybe it's because that's just how it's always been done. Or, that's how I was raised. Or my marriage needs help but going to a counselor might seem like I'm a failure. Or my dream is too big, I could never do it, so I'll just sit in this cubicle ... uncomfortable and ticked at myself ... all day ... everyday.
Come on people. Think about it, and figure out the next steps towards working out of your discomfort. Throw away the bad underwear (for an overly-simple example: get rid of Nutella if trying to lose a few pounds). Buy more comfy underwear (example: join a gym). Or do laundry everyday so this doesn't happen (example: eat right and be active).
Just don't get stuck wearing the bad underwear another day. Life's too short for bad underwear.

I have more than one pair of "bad underwear"!!!
ReplyDeleteHahaha. Don't we all, Aunt Tracy!
ReplyDelete